Monday, January 18, 2010

Farmer in Chief

We live in a world full of warnings and apocalyptic claims. Growing up in such a world, has numbed me to the alarmist theories and claims that are so frequently made. So it comes as no surprise to me that, upon first scanning the article by Micheal Pollan, I was skeptical. I was skeptical that so much of our society is so intertwined with the food industry.Upon deeper scrutiny, however, I noticed that this article was so much more than simply a warning but more of a wake up call.

We had focus in class on "junk food" and though even the text pointed out that the term is one of ambiguity, we never seemed to grasp that fact in class. The focus of our classroom discussion, the prohibition of junkfood, was met with both proponents and opponents. I was on the the opposing side and throughout the conversation, I started to grasp the full gravity of the situation. Americans as a race, are so ignorant they simply cant see change as a reality.

As a classroom of people who come from the varying backgrounds of San Diego, we represented a sample of America. As a sample of America we couldn't even come to a conclusion on the outcome of junk food. I do not believe we can decide for our selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment